From twice-yearly cleaning to quick damage repair, there are many things you can do to keep your deck in Arlington looking great year round. Your deck takes a lot of abuse, from weather to foot traffic. Make sure it stays safe, beautiful and clean with these deck maintenance tips.
You should clean your deck two times a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. This is a multi-step process:
- Sand any splintered areas with 80 grit paper.
- Replace any boards that are damaged or rotted.
- Sweep it clean of dirt, dust and debris, using a traditional broom or your leaf blower.
- Apply deck cleaner using a paint roller, garden sprayer or stiff-bristled broom. Scrub stubborn areas with a stiff brush.
- Allow the cleaner to soak in for a few minutes.
- Rinse deck with hose.
- Let dry.
Apply a Sealant
After cleaning, you may need to apply a sealer. To determine this, pour some water on the deck’s surface. If it beads up into droplets, the previous sealer is still working fine. If the water soaks into the wood, you’ll have to apply a new coat of sealer. You can then apply a deck stain in the shade of your choice. By staining your deck regularly, you are making cleanup much easier and you are preserving the life of the wood.
Clear Leaves, Snow and Ice
Any time there’s a weather event, from a snow storm to an ice storm, it’s important to clear the deck of any debris. Regularly sweep your deck in fall if you see leaves accumulating on the deck. Leaving them there can lead to staining and mildew growth. Snow and ice can both put stress on your deck, not to mention lead to a safety issue.
Here are some snow and ice removal tips for wooden deck owners in Northern Virginia:
- Shovel after every snowfall, but use a plastic shovel – never a metal shovel.
- Shovel parallel to the deck boards.
- Use a broom for light snow.
- Don’t shatter and chip away at ice, especially with a metal implement.
- Refrain from spreading sand on a wood deck, as it can scratch the wood.
- Remove any icicles that are hanging over your deck.
Repair Any Damage Quickly
If you see any loose boards, rotted portions, protruding nails, missing pieces, divots, cracks or anything else, repair the damage right away. Remove and replace loose railings, which can pose a safety issue for anyone who uses the deck. Call your local deck professional in Arlington for repair or replacement to ensure a thorough, safe job.
Contact Nations Choice
Get a quote now on our custom-built pressure treated pine decking and Trex decks when you contact us at 703-688-7100.